Re: What I need for my kids

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 06:50:59PM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> What do you think of gcompris?  It embeds tuxpaint.  It is a self-contained environment with activities for kids.

I played with gcompris a bit... its pretty cool and is definitely a
good interface for 3 to at least probably 6 or 7. It seems to be
slightly broken in sid though. For example, tuxpaint does not appear
in any of the menus. Several of the menus kick out

ImportError: could not import gobject

on the terminal, which I suspect is some breakage in terms of locating
the actual plugins. I have tuxpaint installed, but it does not appear
anywhere. I suspect something isn't right in the way it links to it.

I've futzed aroudn with it and can't get it to work.

that said, if it did work, you could certainly use gcompris as a total
environment for the very small. just putting it in .xinitrc works
great.