Re: What I need for my kids

On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 08:56:18AM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 22:05:33 -0800
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 06:50:59PM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> >
> > > What do you think of gcompris?  It embeds tuxpaint.  It is a self-contained environment with activities for kids.
> >
> > I played with gcompris a bit... its pretty cool and is definitely a
> > good interface for 3 to at least probably 6 or 7. It seems to be
> > slightly broken in sid though.
>
> I'll see if I can reproduce your problem.  Meanwhile, go ahead and file a bug.

not reproducible on my other box. must be just the one.

> > that said, if it did work, you could certainly use gcompris as a total
> > environment for the very small. just putting it in .xinitrc works
> > great.
>
> This is the direction I'm biased towards, rather than some sort of
> configuration front-end as you suggested.  Keep on adding to the
> wiki so that our users can easily find out how to configure their
> Debian systems to suit the needs of their child users.

yeah, I'll get over to the wiki soon and put some stuff in it.

> I've always kept the Jr project's code as lightweight as possible, preferring to do everything via mere configuration.  If a configuration front-end for managing user accounts is generally useful, then it should be worthwhile as a separate project of its own.  If such a thing manages to get off the ground, and we agree that it would make things easier for our users, then we can evaluate it if-and-when it becomes available.

understood. a general user account management front-end could easily
be used by deb-jr, maybe with soem kind of plug-in or something. But I
also understand that keeping it light is important. Certainly, if the
configs are really easy, then that's the way to go. I was just
thinking that some sort of sane, simple way to setup up those configs
would be nice. Select a user -> select an age appropriate level ->
save changes and then the kid/user logs into a new desktop.

> Of course, I wouldn't discourage anyone from participating in such a project if they have something to contribute and feel it would help us.

:)