Re: What I need for my kids

Hi!

It was very interesing for me to follow this thread. I am based in
Vienna and working for kids and teenagers on free software based system
setups. I'm doing this since about 4 years and within this time it
turned out that putting together bootable preconfigured Knoppix based
setups are reaching our target group best.

We are currently focusing on a setup for small kids 3 to 6/7 years
(Kindergarden Range) and will try to prdouce some thousands of the CDs
and distribute it via the cities admininstration channels. For me
personally it is the phase of getting back in my job after giving birth
to a daughter which is now 18 month old.

We decided to use gcompris as the main interface for the children
(Version 7.4) and found out that it has a nice administrative section
(gcompris -a) where you can add a new profiles and select which game
modules to load and which ones to skip. You can also use password
protection. After the setup you start gcompris for exactly the profile
you want.

I think we will use a default screen resolution of 600x800 where desktop
icons are very large but still keep a window manager running.

Thanks for the link to freevo, I will also look into that and think
about if and how it could probably be used for young kids like my own
one. After a first look at the website i can not really imagine, but
maybe looking at the features an idea will arise. I would really  like
to see my girlie putting her fingers (or fists;) on the keyboard and see
a direct reaction (abstract or realisitic) on the screen.

For the next weeks i will work with a grphic designer and a programmer
on the realisation of our CD. I would reaally like to see our work (and
if it's just the graphics) getting implemented somewhere else too. Maybe
we can arrange something.

One more thing: Sofar we focused on a german target group, mainly because
our distribution channels are based in austria and germany. It's not a big
deal - especially for the next CD edition - to get at least bilingual.

Greetings and thanks for your great work,
Andrea

* Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> [2006-11-12 13:56]: