Re: Replacement for Abiword: LyX? Openoffice?

 --- Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de>
wrote: > Am 2003-10-21 10:54:01, schrieb Ben
Armstrong:
Thanks.  I'm looking forward to hearing your
> results.  Grade 10 is a fair
> >bit older than the ages we are focusing on (I
> consider many children older
> >than 12 years old to be beyond needing a "made for
> kids" system) but it will
> >be interesting to hear how you fare with texmacs
> nonetheless.
> >
> >Ben
>
> Yes right, I think debian-jr must target
> Children between 6 and 12 years.
>
> With Teens I can use Lyx.
>
> Michelle

And what about prior to 6 years old? Our daughter has
been running Debian Jr on her own computer since she
was nearly 4. I expect her to be capable of running
more "adult" systems by the time she's 10, truth be
told. My husband first began programming when he was
7, afterall. I'd be very happy to see Debian Jr.
targetted at an age group more inclusive of younger
children.

Is there anyone on the list who, aside from
programming , is also versed at all in child
development and what is age appropiate?

In regards to the text editor, am I the only one whose
considered that something new needs to be written
specificly for our purposes? Nothing that's been
suggested seems to fit all the criteria, and I'm not
able to think of one, either.

-Firinel