Future replacement for Abiword: Tux Writer?

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 06:16:35PM +0100, Firinel Taranen wrote:
> And what about prior to 6 years old? Our daughter has
> been running Debian Jr on her own computer since she
> was nearly 4. I expect her to be capable of running
> more "adult" systems by the time she's 10, truth be
> told. My husband first began programming when he was
> 7, afterall. I'd be very happy to see Debian Jr.
> targetted at an age group more inclusive of younger
> children.

As you can see by our website, we certainly do target children earlier than
6 years old.  Tux Paint and GCompris are two great examples of software
usable by this age range.

> Is there anyone on the list who, aside from
> programming , is also versed at all in child
> development and what is age appropiate?

I have picked up bits and pieces here and there along the way.  Not much by
way of formal education, if that's what you mean, though.  But I am keenly
interested in the topic.

> In regards to the text editor, am I the only one whose
> considered that something new needs to be written
> specificly for our purposes? Nothing that's been
> suggested seems to fit all the criteria, and I'm not
> able to think of one, either.

You are not the only one.  Bill Kendrick (of Tux Paint fame) has already
started planning Tux Writer.  Please see:

http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/tuxwriter/

This is still on the drawing board, however, and therefore there is nothing
yet to download.  Unless the website is out of date, it is still in the
requirements phase.  There is apparently a list for it, also listed on the
site, but no archives (yet).  Perhaps Bill could use some input from us?

Ben
--
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg@debian.org