Re: Replacement for Abiword: LyX? Openoffice?

> And what about prior to 6 years old? Our daughter has
> been running Debian Jr on her own computer since she
> was nearly 4. I expect her to be capable of running
> more "adult" systems by the time she's 10, truth be
> told. My husband first began programming when he was
> 7, afterall. I'd be very happy to see Debian Jr.
> targetted at an age group more inclusive of younger
> children.
>
> Is there anyone on the list who, aside from
> programming , is also versed at all in child
> development and what is age appropiate?

I'm not exactly versed in it, but my wife (who has been a teacher for many
years and is presently going for her masters in special eductaion) is and
I tend to get advice from her.

Granted, that advice then applies directly to Tux4Kids, and I've not
really been too explicit with anything at Debian Jr.

My opinion is something like TuxWrite (which Bill Kendrick thought up a
while back for Tux4Kids) would be perfect for early childhood... of
course... it doesn't yet exist ;-)

> In regards to the text editor, am I the only one whose
> considered that something new needs to be written
> specificly for our purposes? Nothing that's been
> suggested seems to fit all the criteria, and I'm not
> able to think of one, either.

Like I said, over at Tux4Kids (site currently down, see mirror
geekcomix.com/tux4kids/) we thought up something like that a while back.
We just are undermanned and need more developers.

--
Sam Hart
University/Work addr. <hart@physics.arizona.edu>