Re: Replacement for Abiword: LyX? Openoffice?

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 08:55:51AM -0700, Derek Neighbors wrote:
> Would something like kword suffice?

I'm still trying to stay impartial re KDE/Gnome.  The fanout for
dependencies is quite large.

> LyX is not kids software in my humble opinion.

Maybe not.  But neither are emacs nor vim.  With some guidance, children of
different ages can use all three.  It depends, I guess, on what your goals
are.

> I forget the exact age range of Debian-Jr.  I know my 8 year old used
> Openoffice fairly regularly.  At least a few times a semester they have
> "reports" do that need to be typed.  She uses OpenWriter to write and
> print these reports (though she does garner a lot of help from Dad)

Neat.  I just wish it weren't so huge.

You know, though, I think this is the showstopper.  It appears to be in
contrib, not main as I had thought.

Ben
--
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca