Re: Replacement for Abiword: LyX? Openoffice?

* On 03-10-06, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 08:55:51AM -0700, Derek Neighbors wrote:
> > Would something like kword suffice?
>
> I'm still trying to stay impartial re KDE/Gnome.  The fanout for
> dependencies is quite large.

I agree this is a good thing.

> > LyX is not kids software in my humble opinion.
>
> Maybe not.  But neither are emacs nor vim.  With some guidance, children of
> different ages can use all three.  It depends, I guess, on what your goals
> are.

I also agree that LyX is not a good replacement....

A while back, Bill K. was debating about making something called
"TuxWrite" (with tux4kids, and written using SDL, etc) but, aside from
some mailing lists for it, people got too busy for it. Something like that
could certainly help in a situation like this. (Bill K., you still on this
list? ;-)

> > I forget the exact age range of Debian-Jr.  I know my 8 year old used
> > Openoffice fairly regularly.  At least a few times a semester they have
> > "reports" do that need to be typed.  She uses OpenWriter to write and
> > print these reports (though she does garner a lot of help from Dad)
>
> Neat.  I just wish it weren't so huge.
>
> You know, though, I think this is the showstopper.  It appears to be in
> contrib, not main as I had thought.

Recall that OpenOffice/OpenWriter are /technically/ part of Gnome. So the
same logic for Kword would probably apply to these.

--
Sam Hart
University/Work addr. <hart@physics.arizona.edu>