Re: Replacement for Abiword: LyX? Openoffice?

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 06:13, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> Abiword has been removed from testing.  This keeps junior-writing out of
> sarge because of its dependency on abiword.  I will have to remove abiword
> from junior-writing, but I would like to replace it with another WYSIWYG
> word processor.

Would something like kword suffice?

> Should I replace abiword with LyX?  This will considerably increase the size
> of Debian Jr. because to be truly useful, I believe I also need to include
> tetex, which is massive.  Furthermore, there is the question of whether LyX
> is truly a word processor that children can use.

LyX is not kids software in my humble opinion.

> An alternative is to depend on openoffice, but then we'd have the same
> "bloat" issue.
>
> Are there users here whose children use either LyX or Openoffice?  Any
> comments on usability of these packages with children?

I forget the exact age range of Debian-Jr.  I know my 8 year old used
Openoffice fairly regularly.  At least a few times a semester they have
"reports" do that need to be typed.  She uses OpenWriter to write and
print these reports (though she does garner a lot of help from Dad)

--
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise

Was I helpful?  Let others know: