Replacement for Abiword: LyX? Openoffice?

Abiword has been removed from testing.  This keeps junior-writing out of
sarge because of its dependency on abiword.  I will have to remove abiword
from junior-writing, but I would like to replace it with another WYSIWYG
word processor.

Should I replace abiword with LyX?  This will considerably increase the size
of Debian Jr. because to be truly useful, I believe I also need to include
tetex, which is massive.  Furthermore, there is the question of whether LyX
is truly a word processor that children can use.

An alternative is to depend on openoffice, but then we'd have the same
"bloat" issue.

Are there users here whose children use either LyX or Openoffice?  Any
comments on usability of these packages with children?

Thanks,
Ben
--
 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca