Re: libsdl1.2 packages (fwd)

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 08:40:11AM +0100, Tille, Andreas wrote:

Eek - I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply :/

> On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Timothy Musson wrote:
> > If [Gnect] did end up in gnome-games, there'd be no point in an
> > official Debian Gnect package.

> Well, this is reasonable but if the process takes to long a Debian
> package for the time it is outside gnome-games would be OK (IMHO).

That sounds good to me. I'll try to get some feedback from the Gnome
folks to see exactly what the hold up is (maybe lost interest or
maybe too busy with Gnome2.0 - the latter, I hope!) and decide how
to proceed from there...

> > Another reason is that I'm not a Debian maintainer. I'm interested
> That's no reason - that's an excuse :).  Read the pages about new
> maintainers and sponsoring packages.

Okay, so it's an excuse! Actually, I'd be neat to maintain my own
packages (any why not others, once I'm used to it) - and I do have the
time to spare. So, yes - if there's room in the world for another
maintainer, I should do something about it :)

> > I figure I'll have to get my hands on a 2nd computer on which to
> > run Unstable before thinking seriously about applying to
> > maintain official packages.

> You do not need a second computer.  There is a package which helps
> building a chroot-ed system.  (Havn't used it myself, but it is
> known to work.)  Moreover you can perfectly develop under a
> testing system (like I do all the time).

That goes to show that I have things to learn. (I do need to do
something about this old computer though - 4Gb hard drive, close to
full, and I doubt the motherboard cope cope with anything larger).

> Well, I started this thread with a call for help thus I do not
> find the time myself.  But you could ask on Debian devel if
> somebody would like to sponsor a package of you.

Thanks very much for your help, Andreas, even if I was off topic -
you've given me some things to think about. I appreciate it.

> PS: It's not necessary to CC me in private.  I'm reading the list.

Argh! Sorry - this thread is the first time I've posted to a mailing
list and I mucked it up. I think this post should be okay...

Regards,

Tim
--
trmusson@ihug.co.nz