Re: libsdl1.2 packages (fwd)

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Timothy Musson wrote:

> I know what you mean - there are a lot of these :) AFAIK, this is
> the only four in a row clone currently available for Linux whose
> strongest level can't be beaten - that makes it at least a bit
> different.
Great.   This could be the description for debian/control.

> There's been some talk of Gnect ending up in the gnome-games
> package. For a while it looked probable, but I haven't had news from
> the Gnome guys for a couple of months now. If it did end up in
> gnome-games, there'd be no point in an official Debian Gnect
> package. (On the other hand, if someone's interested in officially
> Debianizing it, please let me know and I'll keep you informed on
> whether or not it does get Gnomed.)
Well, this is reasonable but if the process takes to long a Debian package
for the time it is outside gnome-games would be OK (IMHO).

> Another reason is that I'm not a Debian maintainer. I'm interested
That's no reason - that's an excuse :).  Read the pages about new
maintainers and sponsoring packages.

> in the process, which is why I read these lists, but I figure I'll
> have to get my hands on a 2nd computer on which to run Unstable
> before thinking seriously about applying to maintain official
> packages.
You do not need a second computer.  There is a package which helps
building a chroot-ed system.  (Havn't used it myself, but it is known to
work.)  Moreover you can perfectly develop under a testing system (like
I do all the time).

> > > http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~trmusson/slider.html
> > Later part of the last question applies here as well.
>
> The latter part of the last answer applies; I'm not an official
> Debian maintainer. If someone likes it enough, go for it :)
Well, I started this thread with a call for help thus I do not find
the time myself.  But you could ask on Debian devel if somebody would
like to sponsor a package of you.

> The Gnect page is getting bit too cluttered I guess - licenses are
> hidden in the mess - both programs are under the GPL.
GPL is perfect.  You will surely find a sponsor if you ask for it.
This will enlarge the popularity of your work and you will increase
your chances to get the stuff included into gnome-games.

Kind regards

          Andreas.

PS: It's not necessary to CC me in private.  I'm reading the list.