Re: Review of WNPP for things to package/being packaged

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 01:16:59PM +0100, Tille, Andreas wrote:
> > #122839 tetris: a clone of the original tetris, in preparation since
> >         today.
> Someone might perhaps work out an overview over all the tetris clones.
> I do not like 10+ programs doing more or less the same job and let
> users sort out which might be the best.

I decided I'd defer that decision until after this guy was done.  He
says he has made a very close clone of the original.  This will interest
those of us who are nostalgic for the original, but perhaps not the kids
so much.  Anyway, my choices were made without looking at the programs
themselves, so I really can't tell which is best just from that.

I have no objection to having multiple tetris-like programs in Debian,
though.  Diversity is good.  But yes, for Debian Jr. we will want to
narrow down the choices to one or two which rise above the rest.

> > #101124 light: Lightweight gecko-based web browser, 174 days in
> >         preparation.
> Hmmm, I really learned to loeve Galeon.  It comes translated (at least for
> the German language and does not require extra tranlation packages like
> mozilla) and is *very* nice.  So do we need another gecko-based browser?

Again, alternatives.  The Debian Jr. package shouldn't enforce one
choice over another.  It is a starting point.  If people don't like
galeon (probably because of its gnome dependencies) and don't like
skipstone, then they may like light.

> > #108284 tempest: a program that uses your computer monitor to send out
> >         AM radio signals, 119 days in preparation.
> Huh, why should my son do such things???

Where's your sense of adventure!  When I was a child and my Dad had a
TRS-80 Model I, I used a similar program to make funny sounds on my AM
radio.  I think it enriched my sense of wonder at what computers could
do.  Imagine young geekling with her friends over.  "Hey, look at this!"
"Oh cool!  How do you *do* that?" etc.  Come on, now.  Debian Jr.
*needs* this program. :)

> > p.p.s. Beyond the WNPP, I'm sure there's still plenty of stuff
> >        at the linuxforkids site: http://www.linuxforkids.com/
> >        if someone would like to do a review of these and
> >        submit either RFPs or ITPs for them and/or summarize
> >        them here like I have done for the current RFP list.
> I might add that I did not stopped my ClanLib based car racing
> games initiative (Trophy, Race).  Volunteers to step in are welcome
> of course.

Where are they in the WNPP?  Do you have ITPs out on them so we can
at least see that it is in progress?

If others have work that they are doing for Debian Jr. but is not in the
WNPP, please visit http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp today and read about
how to file an ITP.

Thanks,
Ben