Re: Debian for education

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 02:01:16PM +0800, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> Do you think that this could then cover all the aspect of education.
> For example some application are only for teacher, this is the case
> with the GNU GradeBook for example, where should we place it then.
> Or maybe just adding deb package can be then enought.

I would think a jr-edu-admin meta package or some such (or maybe if
a debian-edu group is started, separate from debian-jr, simply edu-admin).

> For freeduc we have builded packages with menu entries created
> in the Gnome desktop. I'm not sure how this is handle in the Debian
> distribution, is there a menu entry for all X-window applications in Debian?

The menu system breaks things up finer than that.  Dividing applications
into "X" and "console" is a very arbitrary division.  Instead, the Debian
menu system attempts to divide things into more meaningful categories.
For details, see the menu policy in this package:

http://packages.debian.org/debian-policy

> What we were thinking is that at minumum each application we package
> should have a menu entry in an education menu category. Is it compatible
> with what is doing debian-jr?

Yes, I think that makes sense.  We are discussing whether Debian needs
an "education" section in menu policy on the debian-devel list.  Please
feel free to jump into the discussion.  The thread in debian-devel starts
here:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0012/msg01328.html

> Also is there dedicated education categories in deb package?

Not yet.  See above.

Ben