Re: Debian for education

> Perhaps we have to create certain age groups (there was enough discussion
> about it- if I remember right this ended in the statement that Debian
> Jr is more targeting for children below 10).  If we would find a clever
> way (really raw idea:
>    task-debian-jr_3-6
>    task-debian-jr_6-8
>    task-debian-jr_8-10
>    task-debian-jr_10-14
> ) you might perhaps find that one of this task-packages fits your target
> system (or you work in this direction.  In my humble opinion another
> branch from Debian Jr would just split our efforts.  Try to make Debian Jr
> fit for your purpose and all can gain profit.

Do you think that this could then cover all the aspect of education.
For example some application are only for teacher, this is the case
with the GNU GradeBook for example, where should we place it then.
Or maybe just adding deb package can be then enought.
For freeduc we have builded packages with menu entries created
in the Gnome desktop. I'm not sure how this is handle in the Debian
distribution, is there a menu entry for all X-window applications in Debian?
What we were thinking is that at minumum each application we package
should have a menu entry in an education menu category. Is it compatible
with what is doing debian-jr?
Also is there dedicated education categories in deb package?

Hilaire

--
OFSET - Organization for Free Software in Education and Teaching
http://www.ofset.org