Re: old version of scala

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019, Thomas Finneid wrote:

> So a Linux system that uses a jdk higher than java 6 for running scala
> code with scala 2.11, can experience unexpected faults or errors while
> running a scala program Likewise with scala 2.12, it is built and
> tested using java 8.

Then, yes, an upgrade to 2.12 should be done. Using the new --release
option in javac 11, it can be built looking as if it were using JDK 8,
but JRE 8 is not really available any more either (I believe the idea
was to ship buster without src:openjdk-8), so it has to work under
JRE 11.

> Also, scala 2.12 is built with sbt 0.13, even though sbt 1.x is
> available, Which means it also need the correct sbt version to build
> scala correctly.
>
> So, I want to help fix these issues for both scala and sbt and upgrade
> scala to 2.12.

Well, yes, this is a good idea in general. However, it will most
likely be way too late for inclusion in buster, unless you have
it ready AND tested with all r-deps by end of this week or so.

Otherwise someone™ should decide whether the current state of
scala should be shipped with buster at all or that it’s too
buggy and should be excluded from the release and reintroduced
afterwards.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
tarent solutions GmbH
Rochusstraße 2-4, D-53123 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/

**!!! NEU !!!** Mit der **tarent Academy** bieten wir ab sofort auch Trainings
und Schulungen in den Bereichen Softwareentwicklung, Agiles Arbeiten und
Zukunftstechnologien an. Besuchen Sie uns
auf [www.tarent.de/academy](http://www.tarent.de/academy). Wir freuen uns auf
Ihren Kontakt.