Re: Trying to compile a package that depends on bouncycastle

On Wednesday 16 Jul 2014 08:28:33 gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 23:20:32 +0100, Adam Spragg wrote:
> > Well, thanks for all the help, but now I'm stuck on step the 9th, trying
> > to compile SignApk.java. And I think I'm just going to give up.
> >
> > I'm getting compile errors of the form:
> >   SignApk.java:20: error: cannot find symbol
> >   import org.bouncycastle.asn1.ASN1ObjectIdentifier;
>
> (No java expert here but ...)
>
> This BouncyCastle stuff has changed classnames and whatnot between
> 1.46 and 1.47 or something:
>
> http://www.bouncycastle.org/wiki/display/JA1/Porting+from+earlier+BC+releas
> es+to+1.47+and+later
>
> To me it looks like your program wants the new stuff, and you've
> installed the older versions of bc. -- At least that's where I'd be
> looking further :)

ABI-incompatible changes without bumping the major version number? And people
*use* software from upstreams who work in this way?

Well, that makes me feel better about giving up and not looking any further
into this at all. I like my eyes in the non-bleeding state they are currently
in.

Bugs-nuts insane. Fricking Java, man.

Adam