Re: Java 9 dropping support for source/target level 1.5

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> Le 16/07/2014 00:07, Rene Engelhard a écrit :
>
> > This is nonsense. Not yet - not as long we want/need gcj (on some archs).
>
> Fair enough. But we already have a lot of packages incompatible with gcj
> in Jessie.

Ugh. If you have time, can you work on getting OpenJDK to
work on m68k (using a VM, for easy hacking)? Doko said that
there is already code for m68k in OpenJDK itself, but my
previous attempts at bootstrapping it all failed, so…

(It really would help if one were able to crosscompile
the JDK, using .class/.jar files from a native build
and needing only the C++ compiler for crossbuilding.
Or even, building only the C++ part and copying the
.class/.jar part from another system.)

As for dropping -target 1.X FSVO X: I know of not-quite-JRE
systems that require this for low X, for example Ewe (a
runtime for PocketPC, mostly, but also works on Debian and
even MirBSD… although there’s still licence for a few files
to figure out, so I have not yet packaged it). I would like
to know how they could still do that… meh, gcj, probably…

bye,
//mirabilos
--
[16:04:33] bkix: "veni vidi violini"
[16:04:45] bkix: "ich kam, sah und vergeigte"...