Re: Auto-generating versioned dependencies for Java packages (via maven/java helpers)

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:
> On a related note, would it make sense to deploy something like "shlibs"
> files for Java?  I have experimented with adding "symbols" files in the
> past and they tend to be rather large if every symbol must be covered.
> Though if we reduce the granularity from symbol level to "class" or
> (Java's) package level it might be more feasible.

For those reading planet, a-c-c and dh have been integrated:

http://blog.surgut.co.uk/2013/04/abi-compliance-checker-dh-cdbs.html

Similar work with japi-compliance-checker could be done :)

I am not a java expert clearly but I fear that maintaining those
symbols will be difficult, maybe just as difficult as C++ symbols are
(think: java generics). Some low level packages (with large rdep)
could use some kind of symbols to avoid nasty situation [*], but I
would not enforce that to all java packages.

2cts
-M

[*] https://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2012/04/msg00043.html