Auto-generating versioned dependencies for Java packages (via maven/java helpers)

Hi,

As the topic suggests I want to talk about improving the situation on
auto-generating versioned dependencies via our helper tools (e.g.
javahelper and maven-*-helper).

At the moment, javahelper doesn't add versioned dependencies, which is
actually really bad.  I am not sure what the situation is in the maven
helpers camp.  If they don't add versioned dependencies, I think now
might be a good time to change that.

I am therefore considering to make jh_depends (javatools) to generating
"$pkg (>= ${installed-upstream-version})" dependencies by default.
Given all the information available in the pom files, the maven helper
tools may be able to give better (i.e. less "pessimistic") lower bound.

On a related note, would it make sense to deploy something like "shlibs"
files for Java?  I have experimented with adding "symbols" files in the
past and they tend to be rather large if every symbol must be covered.
Though if we reduce the granularity from symbol level to "class" or
(Java's) package level it might be more feasible.

~Niels