Re: Auto-generating versioned dependencies for Java packages (via maven/java helpers)

If the issue is to prevent broken reverse dependencies when a package is
updated a solution could be to use a continuous integration system. The
reverse dependencies would be rebuilt automatically when the package is
updated, and the errors reported on the mailing list.

If possible I would to that at the SCM level, such that errors are
detected before the package is uploaded. At Apache we use Gump [1] to do
that and it provides a very useful feedback. How to do that properly
with Debian packages is a tricky question though.

Emmanuel Bourg

[1] http://gump.apache.org