Re: Eclipse and swt-gtk

On 2012-01-15 00:30, Jakub Adam wrote:
> Hi Niels,
>
> thanks for your explanation of the SWT and Eclipse relationships.
>
>> [...]
> I agree with this, eclipse is a huge beast and having swt-gtk for practical
> reasons makes sense. So I tried to approach the problem from the other side
> and updated eclipse build to not compile its own SWT but use the one we
> already have in libswt-gtk-*. So far everything works smoothly, including
> for example web browser integration. This way we get the best of both
> worlds -
> only one copy of swt in the system and maintainers still have a package
> that
> is easier to handle and usable even in case that eclipse becomes broken
> again
> anytime in the future.
>
> I pushed my changes to the git repos[1][2], I think it is not so big
> that it
> deserves a new upload of eclipse on its own, so I will not send any RFS
> for now,
> waiting for some bigger update.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jakub
>
> [1]
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-java/swt-gtk.git;a=commit;h=63117c4f32da3238d9801ddae2627ad60f2e14a1
>
> [2]
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-java/eclipse.git;a=commit;h=0c33b0e9288abfc0cdcad52ea17dbbebd98fb102

That sounds good.  :)

Do you know if this stops eclipse from "extracting/installing" the SWT
binaries into ~/.eclipse ?  I know this has been a repeating issue with
eclipse.  I originally created the "debian-load-internal-swt.patch"
patch to fix that, though as I recall it was not as effective as I had
hoped.

~Niels