Re: Eclipse and swt-gtk

Hi Niels,

thanks for your explanation of the SWT and Eclipse relationships.

Your observations are correct, swt-gtk and eclipse both ship their own
copy of swt.  There is a historical/practical reason for this, which we
unfortunately have not been able to fix.

The issue is that eclipse is sometimes a very difficult package to
maintain, which have left it RC-buggy and out of testing for months at a
time.  Even now, eclipse has finally migrated to testing after 4
months[1].  What you don't see on the PTS anymore was that eclipse was
royally broken all of 2009 and possibly most of 2008 as well.

Compare that to swt-gtk which has been in testing for the past 4 years
or so.  Hench it is much easier for maintainers to use swt-gtk as it is
usually faster updated and hardly ever RC-buggy (at least, compared to
eclipse).

I agree with this, eclipse is a huge beast and having swt-gtk for practical
reasons makes sense. So I tried to approach the problem from the other side
and updated eclipse build to not compile its own SWT but use the one we
already have in libswt-gtk-*. So far everything works smoothly, including
for example web browser integration. This way we get the best of both worlds -
only one copy of swt in the system and maintainers still have a package that
is easier to handle and usable even in case that eclipse becomes broken again
anytime in the future.

I pushed my changes to the git repos[1][2], I think it is not so big that it
deserves a new upload of eclipse on its own, so I will not send any RFS for now,
waiting for some bigger update.

Regards,

Jakub

[1] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-java/swt-gtk.git;a=commit;h=63117c4f32da3238d9801ddae2627ad60f2e14a1