Re: Eclipse and swt-gtk

On 2012-01-11 02:42, Jakub Adam wrote:
> Hi,

> I noticed that packages libswt-gtk-3-java(-jni) seem to install the same
> version of swt as Eclipse
> builds and uses internally.
>
> From my point of view swt-gtk should be dropped and libswt-gtk-3-java
> package built from eclipse
> sources (or keeping swt-gtk and using its libraries in Eclipse would do
> the same).
>
> Is there some special reason to have two separate source packages for
> swt? If not I'd like to fix
> this.

Your observations are correct, swt-gtk and eclipse both ship their own
copy of swt.  There is a historical/practical reason for this, which we
unfortunately have not been able to fix.

The issue is that eclipse is sometimes a very difficult package to
maintain, which have left it RC-buggy and out of testing for months at a
time.  Even now, eclipse has finally migrated to testing after 4
months[1].  What you don't see on the PTS anymore was that eclipse was
royally broken all of 2009 and possibly most of 2008 as well.

Compare that to swt-gtk which has been in testing for the past 4 years
or so.  Hench it is much easier for maintainers to use swt-gtk as it is
usually faster updated and hardly ever RC-buggy (at least, compared to
eclipse).

Of course, now that eclipse / swt-gtk no longer uses xulrunner, it is
not as likely to be broken every 6 months when there is a new
xulrunner/iceweasel release.

> Also libecj-java seems to be a copy of org.eclipse.jdt.core (only with
> quite old version).

Unfortunately, we sort of need that extra copy (though, I suppose there
should be no problem in updating it).  The reason is that:

eclipse needs openjdk to build.  To build openjdk you need ecj and that
is either provided by libecj-java or eclipse-jdt.

No to mention there appears to be a similar issue with tomcat and
eclipse + libjasper-java and eclipse.  The libjasper-java was originally
removed from Debian, but we re-added when we fixed eclipse in the late
2009 (or early 2010).

According to "DAK", the full breakage of removing ecj (the source
package) is[2].

> Regards,
>
> Jakub

~Niels

[1] The PTS does not know this yet - apparently "excuses" is
wrong/outdated as well.  However,

http://release.debian.org/migration/testing.pl?package=eclipse

is correct.  There most likely be a mail about the migration in about
5-6 hours from now on the pkg-java list.

[2]
$ dak rm  -nR ecj
Working... done.
Will remove the following packages from unstable:

       ecj |    3.5.1-3 | [...]
       ecj | 3.5.1-3+b1 | [...]
   ecj-gcj |    3.5.1-3 | [...]
   ecj-gcj | 3.5.1-3+b1 | [...]
      ecj1 |    3.5.1-3 | [...]
      ecj1 | 3.5.1-3+b1 | [...]
libecj-java |    3.5.1-3 | [...]
libecj-java-gcj |    3.5.1-3 | [...]
libecj-java-gcj | 3.5.1-3+b1 | [...]

[...]

Checking reverse dependencies...
# Broken Depends:
commons-jci: libcommons-jci-eclipse-java
gcc-snapshot: gcc-snapshot [amd64 armel armhf i386 ia64 mips \
     mipsel powerpc s390 s390x sparc]
gcj-4.4: gcj-4.4-jdk
gcj-4.6: gcj-4.6-jdk
jasperreports: libjasperreports-java
jasperreports3.7: libjasperreports3.7-java
libjasper-java: libjasper-java
scilab-jims: scilab-jims [amd64 armel i386 ia64 mipsel]
spring-build: libspring-build-java
tomcat6: libtomcat6-java
tomcat7: libtomcat7-java
umlet: umlet