Re: Copyright on Debian scripts in non-free Sun JRE?

On 31 December 2011 01:36, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

> While this doesn't directly solve your problem, the Debian package
> java-package was designed to do exactly what you're doing and is therefore
> under a clear license in that respect.  Maybe it's worth taking a look at
> it and seeing if it can be resurrected?  It unfortunately hasn't been
> maintained for more than three years, and had known bugs (you have to get
> it from oldstable at this point), but it may have more of a framework for
> doing the thing that you're doing.  It's what everyone was using before
> the Sun JDK could be distributed in non-free.

That's most helpful, thank you! I see one outstanding bug, which
includes a patch ... I'll have a play with that.

It occurs to me there must have been some semi-automated way to
produce the recent Oracle Java packages. Were these done with
java-package, or by some other means? Because duplicating that setup
would, of course, produce debs just right to replace the debs of old
Sun versions.

- d.