Re: package Apache James for Debian

2011/8/23 ddave Dave <ddave1403@gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Eric Charles <eric.charles@u-mangate.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I think you didn't send to debian-java@lists.debian.org (just click on
>> reply-to-all to be sure).
>> Thx.
>>
>> On 23/08/11 11:38, ddave Dave wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I have joined today and wish to participate on this. Event I am new to
>>> java packaging under debian but might help you on Java part. Please let
>>> me know.
>>>
>>> Thanks & Regards
>>> Devendra Dave

Hello Dave,

Cool, nice to see you are interested. Here is the way I see things going;

1. See what are the dependencies and first seek those that are atomic
(don't depend on any other library). They will be the first things to
package and I expect them to be small libraries, pretty easy to
package.
2. Try to see what modifications to the maven pom can be made to
support Debian builds and if possible integrate them upstream. This
should not intrude on the normal way development works. Maybe create
even a maven plugin that should ease this task.
3. Build on those until we manage to get everything in.

Simple, no :> !

If you want something more specific, I think we will probably begin
with jSieve [0] or jDKIM [1]. Mime4j 0.6  is already packaged and you
can see how from [2].

[0] http://james.apache.org/jsieve/index.html
[1] http://james.apache.org/jdkim/index.html
[2] http://packages.debian.org/unstable/java/libapache-mime4j-java

p.s. I am busy with some other projects so I don't expect things to go
wild here. I hope to get James in a few months, with your help maybe
faster. Don't hesitate to ask if you have problems. You can find me on
James dev list for James related stuff. You can even send me private
messages but for packaging stuff it's best if it is public.

Regards,
--
Ioan Eugen Stan
http://ieugen.blogspot.com/