Re: package Apache James for Debian

On 23/08/11 01:14, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
Hello,

This year I participated in GSoC for the Apache James (Java enterprise
email client) and I wish to package and maintain James for Debain.
Eric my mentor just told me that I have been accepted as an Apache
comiter for James so I will be able to support/advocate Debian
packaging rules upstream. I think this will be beneficial both to
Debian and Apache.

client -> server :)

An important aspect of James is that it is component based (on Spring)
so it fits the Debian way of separating things. The current components
are: the mailets, jdkim library, mime4j library, jspf library, the
mailbox implementations (jcr, maildir, jpa and now HBase), and other.
I already found some of the components in Debian, others are missing.

+1

Cool features for James are: it externalizes all email processing in
Mailets (Java classes). So you can easy implement your business logic
in a Mailet. Another cool stuff is that it now supports email and user
storage over HBase (NoSQL). This feature is not that widespread among
e-mail servers so it will be a great addition.

I already am a member of the Java team so I have write permission on
Alioth, where the packaging part is kept. Unfortunately I don't have a
lot of experience in packaging Java applications so I will need help
here, most importantly to get me started. I don't have a clue yet, but
I didn't gave it much taught either. I will also need someone to
sponsor the packages.

I don't have plans to do things over night. I imagine that this will
take a few months to complete.

Thanks,

[1] http://james.apache.org/

--