Re: Eclipse 3.5

Hi Niels,

thanks a lot for your status update! I think that was very informative
for a lot of users and --as I read it-- pretty good news for those
waiting for the new Eclipse version.

Am Mittwoch, den 03.02.2010, 23:34 +0100 schrieb Niels Thykier:
> The long answer is that we need to patch 6 dependencies, where of at
> least 2 needs to go through the NEW queue (meaning they will probably be
> stalled up to a week or two) and our build system need to be
> patched/updated to handle 3 of the these after they have been patched. I
> am thinking 2 to 4 weeks depending on the NEW queue and how much time
> Benjamin and I can put into the package.

I have no information about the current release dates but IIRC the
freeze was thought to be in March. I'd recommend to ask ftp-master to
fast-track those packages in NEW. It would be a shame if your work would
not make it into the next release because it was stuck in NEW for too
long.

I'll also think, as Benjamin already said, that the Eclipse packages
should be uploaded to unstable. It is the right place and gets a lot
more attention when it comes to testing the package.

> Since we have spent 5 months now dancing with this package, I
> certainly would not mind a pair of fresh eyes to review it.

I can't promise I can help with that but I'll try. I already had a look
at the package a few months back (before you started) and gave up. I
guess the situation improved a lot since then. Which brings me to the
most important point of my email:

I'd like to say: Thank you very much for your work on Eclipse! You and
Benjamin (and maybe even more people, who I'm not aware of) did a great
job in your packaging work. It's visible on this list and I guess there
are a lot of people out there watching the progress for the last few
months, appreciating what you have achieved so far! Please keep up the
good work! I'm very thankful for it, at least.

Best regards
Manuel