Re: Eclipse 3.5

(Moving this to debian-java@l.d.o)

Rolf Schumacher wrote:
> ... when will it be available as a maintained Debian package?
>
> I'm thinking about starting to experience Eclipse. However, applications
> I'm looking for build on 3.5. So I wonder if its wise to wait.
>
> Rolf

Thank you for your interest in eclipse. The short answer to your
question would be something down the line of "soon". I figured this
might be a good time to bring a little status on eclipse for the rest of
the team as well.

eclipse status
==============
The long answer is that we need to patch 6 dependencies, where of at
least 2 needs to go through the NEW queue (meaning they will probably be
stalled up to a week or two) and our build system need to be
patched/updated to handle 3 of the these after they have been patched. I
am thinking 2 to 4 weeks depending on the NEW queue and how much time
Benjamin and I can put into the package (If you are using testing,
please add at least 10 days to this).

While it is not my decision alone, I personally believe that eclipse 3.5
have received considerable amount of testing from the Ubuntu side (and
that the current eclipse in Debian is of such a quality that the new
package cannot be worse) and therefore should be uploaded directly to
unstable. However, it is not my decision to make alone and eclipse may
end up in experimental for a while (you can still get it from Debian in
this case, assuming you have enabled experimental).

I am expecting to finish up the 2 packages that has to go through NEW
this weekend (I just have to verify eclipse builds with them plus put a
final touch on the packaging).

Reviewing/Testing eclipse
=========================
[Mostly for Debian Maintainers/Developers]

You (as in anyone reading this email) are more than welcome to test our
current eclipse package for problems. I can provide unofficial packages
for x86/i386 archs; you may also be able to use the ones from Ubuntu (I
used it with success earlier in our development cycle to attempt to
reproduce issues reported from Ubuntu).

Since we have spent 5 months now dancing with this package, I certainly
would not mind a pair of fresh eyes to review it. Currently the only
thing left on my list to do is making eclipse build against the final 6
dependencies, repack to remove embedded jars + cleaning up
debian/copyright (removing licenses of the embedded jars). Since we have
spent 5 months now dancing with this package, I certainly would not mind
a pair of fresh eyes to review it.

Thank you for considering and feel free to reply if (any of) you have
any questions,
~Niels