Re: Help needed on the Java policy

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:47:53PM +0100, Eric Lavarde wrote:
>> no.
> OK, Why no and why is "Recommends" sufficient? If I may interpret your
> answer, it's because you don't want to pull X-stuff when you only want
> to have a Java runtime for your server.
> In this case, the proposal from Andrew Vaughan to have a javaN-runtime
> and a javaN-runtime-nox would make much sense, wouldn't it?
>
> There would then be a sun-javaN-jre and a sun-javaN-jre-nox (for
> example), and the same for gij/gcj/compat...

Recommends are considered to be installed. When users don't install the
Recommends they are on their own and its expected that they know what
they are doing. Recommends are installed by default so its no problem

>>> 3. to gij again because, even after installation of libgcj9-0-awt,
>>> FreeMind doesn't work properly with it.
>>
>> maybe. please file an upstream report, then file a bug report in
>> debian and mark it as forwarded.
>>
>> <rant>
>>    Maybe having the sun-java[56] in debian is a mistake. It misleads
>>    people (even maintainers like you) to just use these, and not care
>>    about the free java stack.  Keep in mind that there's only a
>>    handful of people involved in java packaging in debian (sorry if I
>>    did miss someone).
>> </rant>
> I do not agree, I do care, else I wouldn't suggest the above changes to
> the Java policy, but if my package doesn't work with gij, it just
> doesn't work, and I still expect that I get a workable solution for my
> package, with a finite amount of complexity.
>
> <rant type="my turn">
> I'm trying to be constructive, but if it comes down to "we only care
> about free java and server apps", then I just remove java2-runtime from
> my dependencies and end of the discussion.
> </rant>

We do care about GUI apps. We just dont care much about non-free
software. Bug reports improve the free stack so it good to get them from
users.

Cheers,
Michael