Re: Help needed on the Java policy

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 08:35:22PM +0100, Eric Lavarde wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm fighting a bit with the current state of the Java policy, and it has
> hit pretty hard because FreeMind isn't in testing anymore because of
> this (see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=436206).
>
> OK, starting from the beginning:
> 1. FreeMind 0.7.1 works only with Sun's Java (let's assume 1.4 only for
> the sake of simplicity).
> 2. i.e. I make my package depend on j2re1.4 | java2-runtime, the first
> is necessary, the second is given by the policy.
> 3. the issue is that anybody can then decide to fulfill the dependency
> by installing whatever provides java2-runtime, even if I perfectly know
> that it won't work.
>
> So, how can I fix this and respect the policy?
>
> Additional question: the Java RE packages created with java-package used
> to depend on some X libraries, the sun-javaN-jre packages don't anymore.
> What is the dependency one should best use for Java programs with an
> (X-)Gui?

Personally I would just depend on some working runtime and on
java(2)-runtime and then forward all bugs specific to some runtime to
the affected runtime. This help to gets the runtimes fixed. Otherwise
they will never get fixed because people dont know the problems.

In your case just depending on all the SUN JDK variants seems wrong. Do
you know that the IBM variants dont work? How do you know that no
(future) classpath-based runtime will work? What about icedtea?

Cheers,
Michael