Re: Help needed on the Java policy

Michael Koch wrote:
On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 08:35:22PM +0100, Eric Lavarde wrote:
Hi,

I'm fighting a bit with the current state of the Java policy, and it has hit pretty hard because FreeMind isn't in testing anymore because of this (see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=436206).

OK, starting from the beginning:
1. FreeMind 0.7.1 works only with Sun's Java (let's assume 1.4 only for the sake of simplicity). 2. i.e. I make my package depend on j2re1.4 | java2-runtime, the first is necessary, the second is given by the policy. 3. the issue is that anybody can then decide to fulfill the dependency by installing whatever provides java2-runtime, even if I perfectly know that it won't work.

So, how can I fix this and respect the policy?

Additional question: the Java RE packages created with java-package used to depend on some X libraries, the sun-javaN-jre packages don't anymore. What is the dependency one should best use for Java programs with an (X-)Gui?

Personally I would just depend on some working runtime and on
java(2)-runtime and then forward all bugs specific to some runtime to
the affected runtime. This help to gets the runtimes fixed. Otherwise
they will never get fixed because people dont know the problems.

I guess it depends on whether the program fails because a particular
runtime has bugs or because the program depends on something it shouldn't
use, such as com.sun.* classes.  We're pretty complete with respect to 1.4,
so I'd like to know what this problem actually is.

Andrew.