Re: icedtea status?

On Jan 7, 2008 10:22 AM, Arnaud Vandyck <avdyk@debian.org> wrote:
> 2008/1/7, Michael Koch <konqueror@gmx.de>:
> > I understand, but do we really have other possible ways?
>
> Not moving packages that work only with icedtea to main at the moment.

What are the timelines of IcedTea and gcj with respect to the next
Debian release?

Out of curiosity (haven't been keeping as tuned in as I would have liked):

Has IcedTea (IT) matured enough to be ready before the next Debian
release, and would it therefore make sense to replace gcj with IT as
default JVM? For example, it is reasonable to expect IT to be ported
to the same platforms as gcj currently has? What are the plans of the
gcj (/Classpath) community with respect to coverage of the J5/6
language? That is, what advantages does IT have over gcj (and vice
versa), now and in, say, 6 months?

Egon

--
----