Re: maven2 for Debian

Quoting Marcus Better <marcus@better.se>:

manfred@mosabuam.com wrote:
I think it would be better to just leave the version as is and accept
that multiple version sit around on the file system. They don' cause
any harm anyway.

The Debian package will support this for _users_, it will work just like the
upstream Maven.

For Debian packaging work it is a different story, as Michael explained we
cannot support a dozen versions of the same package as part of the Debian
system.

I don't think this will be a huge problem for us. Even dynamic projects
don't make stable releases that often.

Hm. what if there are two stable versions of a library that are incompatible and are used by two stable programs? Then we need different library version in the one system. E.g. JFreeChart had multiple stable releases that are incomaptible with each other for a long time and different programs were using different versions. JasperReports did the same.

Manfred