Re: Location of API docs

Hi,

Marcus Better said:
> Matthias Klose wrote:
>>> How come? I thought we put api docs in the -doc package, if there is
>>> one.
>
>> exactly, but into the /usr/share/doc/$package/api directory, not into
>> the /usr/share/doc/$package-doc/api directory.
> [...]
> Is it really better to put the docs in /usr/share/doc/$package? Note that
> ${package-doc} should not depend on $package, and installing only the -doc
> package would still create both directories under /usr/share/doc.
I do second this comment: I don't understand the advantage to have the api
under /usr/share/doc/$package/api but I surely know that it's confusing if
it's part of $package-doc package, and keeps us from using dh_installdocs.

The Debian policy uses a lot of "should" in the Documentation section (12)
but 12.3 says "/usr/share/doc/package may be a symbolic link to another
directory in /usr/share/doc only if the two packages both come from the
same source and the first package Depends on the second.". I translate
this into it's OK to share documentation if one package depends on the
other, i.e. $package-doc depends on $package, which is generally not the
case.

Eric

> Guess we should decide on some policy and start filing wishlist bugs.
Let's see :-)

--
You don't need to CC me on debian-java, debian-mentors and
pkg-java-maintainers.