Re: naming library packages

Matthew Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
[...]
>> Another possibility is one package where you split the jar files:
>>
>> yourlib-commons.jar
>> yourlib-j5se.jar
>> yourlib-j2se1.4.jar
>
> there's not much common code, or rather, there are small differences
> between most of the classes. So you would have libdbus-j5se.jar or
> libdbus-j2se1.4.jar.
>
> This was my original question, given I want to do this what is the best
> way: 2 packages, 1 package 2 versions, 1 package 2 jars (and why is this
> better than 2 packages), and if multiple packages/jars, what is the
> accepted naming scheme (I suggeseted libdbus-java and libdbus-java2,
> you've suggested libdbus-j2se and libdbus-j5se). It's this latter point
> I mainly wanted opinions on.

2 packages:
  pros: - if the jar files are large, users don't want to install
          large files they don't use
  cons: - increase the number of package
        - more work for the ftp-masters (they could refuse one of
          the package if they think it's not usefull)
        - could be trouble for the users

1 package, 2 versions:
  pros: - 'same' package, so no more work to for ftp masters
        - user install one *or* the other
  cons: - impossible to install both at the same time

1 package, 2 jars:
  pros: - you only create *one* package
        - no overhead for ftp masters
        - users have only one package to install
        - both versions available at the same time
        - easier to add or remove the 1.4 or 5 or 6 or whatever
          version without the need of asking the package to
          be removed or add a new one
  cons: - if the jars are too big, users could be angry because
          they have a 2Gb jar file they will never use...
          What is the critical size?.. I don't know ;-)

>> Another remark: IMHO a library should not depend on a runtime... any
>> way, this would require a change of the Debian Java Policy.
>
> I believe the debian policy states that they should do:
>
>    "Java libraries must depend on the needed runtime environment
>    (java1-runtime and/or java2-runtime) but should not depend (only
>    suggest) java-virtual-machine."
>
> (from http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/x105.html)

I said: *IMHO* a library should not depend on a runtime... any
way, this would require a change of the Debian Java Policy. (that mean I
know the policy says it must depend on a runtime but I don't think it's
a good idea ;-))

Cheers,

- --
  .''`.