Re: svn repository

> You've been elected to do the CVS to svn transition, congratulation! ;-)

Accepted. ;-)

> If you can do the transition, you are welcome. Can you propose a
> directory layout for the svn repository (a layout we could use with
> svn-buildpackage or something).

Well, that makes it easy, as svn-buildpackge only supports a single
layout currently (and we certainly should support svn-buildpackage).
Specifically, the layout would be package/{trunk,tags,branches,...}.
The only potential disadvantage that I can see is that each package that
needs to be worked with must be checked out separately, with a command
like:

   svn co svn+ssh://username@svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-java/lib-mylib-java/trunk

Alternatively we could work with upstream to get support for the
{trunk,tags,branches,...}/package layout, which would allow users to
checkout the trunk version of all packages at the same time. An
unintegrated patch has been submitted to upstream, so this may yet be a
reasonable approach. As a matter of fact, the more I think about it, the
more this layout sounds the best.

All of the tools except for svn-inject already support it, so maybe we
should talk with Eduard Bloch about adding support for that layout to
svn-inject.

> Jeroen already did the job and I think it was good. It was a test on a
> 'local' svn repository. Maybe he can help.

I already have several svn repositories on svn.debian.org, and
svn-buildpackage (and its tool svn-inject) have a very standard way of
working with this (as outlined above) that requires little thought on
our part.

> When everybody agree about the layout directory, you'll be able to make
> some tests and tell us how long it takes to make the switch. Then we'll
> stop committing while you make the switch and after that, we'll all use
> subversion.

Normally packages are imported using svn-inject for each package, but
then we would lose the CVS histories. I'd like to try to import using
cvs2svn, but I'll need to research the minimum requirements of
svn-buildpackage for this purpose.

Once there is consensus on the directory layout to use, I'll move
forward with testing this.

Charles

--
Darling I am