Re: naming library packages

Hi Matthew,

Matthew Johnson wrote:
I have a Java 1.5 and Java 1.4 set of bindings for dbus. Is there a
policy on naming such packages? Currently the 1.5 one is packaged as
libdbus-java (only in my build tree though, so it can change), I've just
backported to 1.4, but its not as featureful, so I want to keep both
around. I was thinking libdbus-java2, possibly with libdbus-java5.

Whats the difference between 1.4 and 1.5 bindings ? Is there a real
functional difference or only in the internal implementation ?
What benefits are gained by building with a non-free 1.5 and moving the
package therefore to contrib (and any depending package) ?

I would encourage to build with free tools and there it depends what
1.5 features are needed. E.g. some api additions not relying on new
1.5 features such as generics, enum are already available in free runtimes.

Regards,
Wolfgang