Re: naming library packages

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, Wolfgang Baer wrote:

Whats the difference between 1.4 and 1.5 bindings ? Is there a real
functional difference or only in the internal implementation ?
What benefits are gained by building with a non-free 1.5 and moving the
package therefore to contrib (and any depending package) ?

There is a real functional difference, some of the DBus types can't be
represented in Java properly, 1.5 with the parameterized types can do it
(and also keep the required type information around to be able to
 serialize and introspect properly).

I would encourage to build with free tools and there it depends what
1.5 features are needed. E.g. some api additions not relying on new
1.5 features such as generics, enum are already available in free runtimes.

It did until recently build and run with ecj-generics and
jamvm-generics. I now use one function which is not in
classpath-generics 0.19, but should be in 0.20 when they release it.
I'll have to test and verify this, but they should be able to go in main
when that happens.

On another note, what Depends and Build-Depends should I use for
requiring a 1.5-compatible VM and compiler? and how best to set this in
the rules file? explicitly depend on a known working free vm/compiler?

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Johnson