Re: naming library packages

Matthew Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, Wolfgang Baer wrote:
>
>> Whats the difference between 1.4 and 1.5 bindings ? Is there a real
>> functional difference or only in the internal implementation ?
>> What benefits are gained by building with a non-free 1.5 and moving the
>> package therefore to contrib (and any depending package) ?
>
> There is a real functional difference, some of the DBus types can't be
> represented in Java properly, 1.5 with the parameterized types can do it
> (and also keep the required type information around to be able to
>  serialize and introspect properly).

I'm surprised but I don't know 1.5 at all ;-). Serialization and
introspections exist until 1.2. Anyway, I don't know 1.5 ;-)

>> I would encourage to build with free tools and there it depends what
>> 1.5 features are needed. E.g. some api additions not relying on new
>> 1.5 features such as generics, enum are already available in free
>> runtimes.
>
> It did until recently build and run with ecj-generics and
> jamvm-generics.

Thanks for the tests!

> I now use one function which is not in
> classpath-generics 0.19, but should be in 0.20 when they release it.
> I'll have to test and verify this, but they should be able to go in main
> when that happens.

Did you file a bug report to classpath? If you could, it'd be cool.

> On another note, what Depends and Build-Depends should I use for
> requiring a 1.5-compatible VM and compiler? and how best to set this in
> the rules file? explicitly depend on a known working free vm/compiler?

There is no virtual package for jse5 (or j2se5.0 or j2se1.5 or whatever)
and versionned virtual packages are IMHO useless and should be removed.
So you have to depend on explicit j5se0: the one from Sun and the one
from IBM.

About the name of the package, I don't like the idea of two packages
with different version of java so I suggest you upload the 1.4 package
in unstable and the 1.5 in experimental with the same name but increment
the version number of the package. (It'll also be less work for the ftp
masters).

Don't hesitate to comment,

Cheers,

- --