Re: Co-maintaining Kaffe

Ean Schuessler <ean@brainfood.com> writes:

> Arnaud,
>
> You know perfectly well that you are distorting the facts.

?!

> Presumably, you  think that you can escalate this situation to the
> point that QA will take  Kaffe away from me and make you the
> maintainer. If that is your strategy, then fine, but I'll tell you now
> that it is a stupid and counter-productive  effort that will make both
> you and I look foolish.

I only see one foolish here! See *my* packages:
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?gpg_key=EEB6B4C2&comaint=yes

1° Packages Gadek Orphaned and I adopted:
   - libdtdparser-java
   - libnsuml-java
   - argouml
   - dresden-ocl
   - libgef-java

2° Packages I did ITP because of the evolution of ArgoUML:
   - libi18n-java
   - libjdepend-java
   - libtoolbar-java
   - libtoolbutton-java

3° Packages I did ITP:
   - libcommons-lang-java
   - libgnucrypto-java
   - libgnuinet-java
   - libgnujaf-java
   - libgnujaxp-java
   - libgnumail-java
   - libjessie-java
   - charva
   - libcommons-cli-java
   - libcommons-dbcp-java
   - libcommons-fileupload-java
   - libcommons-jexl-java
   - libcommons-jxpath-java
   - libcommons-validator-java

4° Package I adopted:
   - libxt-java
   - batik
   - bsh
   - fop

Every package you see in the list, I changed the maintainer to the
pkg-java Alioth project. Only one is not co-maintained! I don't know if
you can take this as a proof or what, but: I DO NOT WANT TO HIJACK
KAFFE! I want kaffe to be CO-MAINTAINED. I want *the* official
maintainer to be a mailing list and co-maintainers be some volunteers
that have time, will and skills to maintain it.

> Our last private communications we're between the 10th and the 19th of
> last  month when we were discussing whether 1.1.4 had been released by
> Jim Pick. I  had (on the 9th) stated quite plainly that I intended to
> deliver a 1.1.4  package. I'm certain you remember this email:

Of course I remember it I sent it! Who do you think I am?! Your are
talking about strategy and so! I have 28 packages in Debian and they are
all co-maintained! You have one (maybe the one of the more important for
the debian-java) and it's not! Who have a strategy about packages?!

> -------
>
> Re: [Jim Pick] [kaffe] 1.1.4 Release on Monday
> From: Ean Schuessler <ean@brainfood.com>  (Brainfood, Inc.)
> To: Arnaud Vandyck <arnaud.vandyck@ulg.ac.be>
> Date: 2004-02-09 05:45
>
> I am. Now, is everything that you want in 1.1.3-0.3? I'm going to try to
> actually do my job this time. :-)
>
> On Monday 09 February 2004 09:58, you wrote:
>> Are you ready for a new kaffe package? ;)
>
> -------
>
> Jim had not yet released the files and they were not released until
> the 19th.  Happily, I had the good fortune to be in New Orleans for
> Mardi Gras by the  19th and was far too busy with my activities there
> to immediately release a  package. I did, however, check e-mail during
> the Carnival festivities and  intended to deal with the release on my
> return.

You missed a mail I sent you about the release of kaffe! We have some
exchange about kaffe *to be* released (but Jim had no time to do so),
remember you sent me a mail asking me where is the new release? And I
told you why the release was not out? Then I sent you a mail to tell you
kaffe 1.1.4 was out.

> When I returned to Dallas on the 25th I spent a day or so catching up
> with  work and then prepared a Kaffe 1.1.4 package. When I went to
> upload this  package I found, once again, that you had already
> performed an NMU. You knew  I was intending to do an upload, you did
> write me to ask "hey dude, where is  that Kaffe upload you promised?".

Sorry, I missed your response... oups... no response...

> You just did another NMU. Not only that, you added yourself as an
> Uploader and used a proper version number in a plain effort to hijack
> the package. If this isn't a purposeful effort to piss me  off then I
> don't know what would be.

Well, there is a miss understanding here! I thought hijacking a package
was to remove you from the maintainer field and put my name instead! I
could also put my name as a maintainer and yours as a
co-maintainer. NO. I just added me as a co-maintainer. Why do you want
me to hijack your package! You think I wanna be in the Guiness book?! I
don't know if you're reading -java ATM but we are in an effort of moving
the more java packages into main. How do you want us to do that without
kaffe?! Waiting for IBM and Sun to find a deal?

> Despite popular delusions, I did not tell you to add yourself as an
> Uploader  and perform an NMU. You did not warn me of your intent to
> NMU 1.1.4. You did  not discuss eliminating Kaffe from various
> architectures.

How many times do you want me to apology for that?! Come on!

> I did not state  that I was orphaning Kaffe and I have not refused
> communication with you.

I never say to nobody you don't want to communicate with me! I just say
you're not so responsive!

> That brings us up to date.
>
> I don't feel ready to cede maintainership of the Kaffe package to you
> and here  is why:
>
> - You can't seem to maintain a calm and professional tone in your
> communications when someone disagrees with you.

I can't believe it ;-)

> - You have shown blatant disregard for Debian policy.

Stop that! I'll piss on me!

> - You have disregarded or avoided my polite efforts to work with you.

Oh shit!.. I got to change my clothes!

> - You have misrepresented our recent communications, presumably to
> make me  look even worse than I actually am.
>
> Here are some good reasons to keep me around:
>
> - I have built all Free Software, all Java based systems for a number of the
> largest corporations on the planet.
> - I have a diverse knowledge of commercial and Free Java components and how
> they are actively being used in modern enterprise computing.
> - I know Tim Wilkinson, Jim Pick, Per Bothner, Graydon Hoare, Peter and Joerg
> Mehlitz and other assorted Kaffe/Classpath/GCJ people on a personal basis.
> - I have been around the Kaffe product since way, way before 1.0.
> - I have been the Debian Kaffe maintainer longer than a lot of people have
> been using Linux.
> - If you come frontin' on me in a flame war you will get served, dawg.

I don't want that!

> That said, I agree that I'm a pretty sucky maintainer. You are doing
> great  work. That's why I am asking you for help. Helping me does not
> mean avoiding  talking to me, making me look bad and trying to hijack
> the Kaffe package.

I DO NOT WANT TO HIJACK KAFFE PACKAGE!

> Those are divisive, offensive actions. Those actions will bring a
> mean, sharp  tounged Ean to your INBOX. What you need to do is
> communicate with me, agree  to reasonable steps for cooperation and
> not fly off the handle when I fail to  immediately comply with your
> will. Sorry Arny, cooperation takes work, that's  life.
>
> So, can we cut the crap and talk about how to cooperate? Or do you
> prefer to  play flame ping-pong for another few hundred kilobytes?

I never wanted to do that!

Take an account on Alioth (it'll be the same as your Debian login), drop
me a mail when you have your account and I'll add you to pkg-java
project. After that, we can setup a separate mailing list, then upload
kaffe with you and me as Uploaders and the list as the official
maintainer. I'll setup a cvs module for kaffe and also, if possible, a
cvs notification system.

I propose every modification takes place in the alioth cvs module before
every upload so that every body will be warn about modification in the
cvs (only the debian directory will be in the cvs repository).

I propose kaffe to be co-maintained in a mutual respect and also with
trust! I'm not a newbie nor a child, you can trust me! Also, even if
someone make a mistake, it'll be only in the cvs, not in the package.

I hope you'll be responsive. I prefer a mail where you tell 'sorry I
don't have time ATM' than no response at all.

I propose pkg-java-kaffe@lists.alioth.debian.org as list/maintainer.

If you prefer to set up another project, go ahead, I don't care.

> On Thursday 04 March 2004 06:26, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
>> I did not make the request on -devel! I did send a bug to ftp.debian.org
>> and X-Debbugs-CC to -devel! If you don't want kaffe to be removed for
>> these arches, you'd better close #235808!

Maybe our first step in co-maintaining kaffe could be to resolve the
problem with building kaffe on other arches. What do you think of my
proposal to remove all outdated builds, then only build kaffe on i386
and powerpc, and then, when kaffe will be in testing, we try to rebuild
it on 'any' arches.

PS: I'm glad, you are more responsive these days :-P ;-D

--
  .''`.
 : :' :rnaud