Re: Co-maintaining Kaffe

Ean Schuessler <ean@brainfood.com> writes:

> The only reason that my mail went to -devel was your request to remove
> Kaffe  from seven architectures without consulting me. You made that
> request to  -devel and that request required this response. If you
> feel foolish then lay  the blame closer to the source.

I did not make the request on -devel! I did send a bug to ftp.debian.org
and X-Debbugs-CC to -devel! If you don't want kaffe to be removed for
these arches, you'd better close #235808!

To do that, I already asked on -release and try to find a solution.

> The last significant change to Kaffe from a *packaging* perspective
> was  migrating it to DBS and that was my work. Your recent NMUs (which
> have been  insanely numerous) disabled DBS by simply renaming the
> patches directory to  "no-patches". That isn't adding value and was
> done without a byte of email  consulting me.

I'd prefer cdbs. I already explain the "no-patches" thing. Did you
understand I sent a lot of mails to know if the problem were resolved?
Some patches are already applied upstream (thanks for your help
Dalibor). Do you know how long it took to do that?

> Without sarcasm I will tell you again that I appreciate your
> enthusiasm and  want to work with you. Simply be aware that I will not
> be ignored and will  not tolerate haphazard changes that are not
> cleared with me first. There is  nothing unreasonable about that
> attitude and nothing that is out of line with  policy.

I can't believe your attitude. If I did not read -java for the past
year, maybe I'd agree with you and ask for deleting my account from
Debian for ever but hey! wake up! I can't count the mails I send to you
you never replied! You can look at the bugs in the bts you never
respond, find a solution or never upload something.

> For the time being I will leave you as an Uploader on the condition
> that you  communicate your intended changes with me first and only
> upload when I am  grossly unresponsive (ie. more than a week). My
> preference is to receive  changes in the form of a DBS patch.

No way! My idea about co-maintaining a package is not submitting 3 copy
of a paper to some manager and wait he kindly agrees. Co-maintaining
will be with an infrastructure and with people who answer mails within
two days. People who does respect the package and the packages that
depends on it! Do you know how kaffe is important if we want more java
packages in main?!

> I think that the rest of this can be handled on -java. I invite -devel
> to  return to its regularly scheduled flame war.

It should never go to -devel! But thanks for the publicity.

> ps. Developers with platform specific experience who would like to see
> Kaffe  remain on sparc, os390, alpha and so forth should please try to
> get Kaffe to  build from source. Even if the JIT won't compile on your
> platform there may  be hope for the interpreter. Drop me a line if you
> have interest or success  stories.

Many thanks for your help!

--
  .''`.