Re: eight packages could possibly go to main!

Etienne Gagnon <gagnon.etienne_m@uqam.ca> writes:

> Daniel Bonniot wrote:
>> Etienne Gagnon wrote:
>>> The biggest problem is that Kaffe is licensed under the GNU GPL, so
>>> if an application/library can only be compiled with Kaffe, it must
>>> be licensed under the GPL too (or at least be "license compatible"
>>> with the GPL).
>> By "only compiled with Kaffe", you mean "and not with Sun's JDK" in
>> particular? If so, then is it really an issue in practice? As far as
>> I know, Kaffe is not trying to introduce unique features, so it would
>> be surprising that any application can be build/run _only_ with
>> Kaffe.  If you mean "the only free JVM that can build/run it is
>> Kaffe", then that becomes a more likely situation, but then I don't
>> see the reasoning why the license of the app would need to be GPL
>> compatible.
>
> I do not have time to go over this again, but here are two relevant
> URLs explaining different views.  The strictest view is the FSF's
> interpretation of the GPL, if you care about it.

[...]

> I repeat: I am simply pointing you to the relevant documentation, but
> I am not willing to discuss the issue.  If you wish to discuss it,
> please send your questions to debian-legal which is the appropriate
> forum for this.

I'll try to read your links when I'll have some time (but impossible at
the moment). Also, I follow this discussion (I think I talked about it
with Dalibor sometimes ago) and I agree with Daniel.

But Etienne, I'll have a look. Thanks for pointing this (known and
already discussed?) problem.

  .''`.
 : :' :rnaud
 `. `'