Re: Policy: java1-runtime

I would think that java2 is a superset of java1.

Unfortunately, this is not the case; the deprecation of methods and
classes make java2 an intersecting set, not a superset of java1.

Deprecated features are still available. There are still tagged, so that their use is discouraged, since they might be removed in a later release. As far as I know, nothing has ever been removed yet. Technically, if a package requires the java1 API, it will run with a java2 implementation. So I maintain that java 2 runtimes should provide java1-runtime. If Java 3 actually removed some deprecated features, then the situation will be different.

Agreed in principle.  However, there are cases where a JVM might
provide java2-runtime but not java1-runtime: the cases where the
deprecated methods on various classes are not properly supported
or implemented.

I agree that such a JVM (runtime) could provide only java2-runtime. Those that include the deprecated methods should provide both.
Is there any existing runtime that does this?

Daniel