Re: Policy: java1-runtime

In message:  <[🔎] 3F3CBFB2.2070100@inria.fr>
             Daniel Bonniot <Daniel.Bonniot@inria.fr> writes:

>I would think that java2 is a superset of java1.

Unfortunately, this is not the case; the deprecation of methods and
classes make java2 an intersecting set, not a superset of java1.

>I propose the following changes in the policy, instead of the above
>paragraphs:
>
>Programs /must/ depend on /java-virtual-machine/ and the needed runtime
>environment (/java1-runtime/ or /java2-runtime/).
>
>[JVMs] can also provide the runtime environment that the package
>contains (java1-runtime or both java1-runtime and java2-runtime).
>
>In particular, blackdown's packages should have:
>Provides: java1-runtime, java2-runtime

Agreed in principle.  However, there are cases where a JVM might
provide java2-runtime but not java1-runtime: the cases where the
deprecated methods on various classes are not properly supported
or implemented.

- Alex