Re: [PROPOSAL] dh_ant

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:39:17 +0200
Jan Schulz <jan@katzien.de> wrote:

[...]

> Usually you need to know what version of what lib you need. If that
> version is packages, you add this package name to your Depends:
> dh_java (or yourself, if thats not oncluded in such a script) will
> then add this name to your startscript and the getClassapth script
> will set the proper jar files.
>
> Or so my theory.
>
> IMO the big enchancement is, that you only have to specify the
> Depends once: in debian/control and everything else is added from
> there on.

That's what we all want ;)

> > $ apt-cache show <package> | grep Depends
> > and then
> > $ dpkg -L <package> | grep jar
> > and you'll have all  the jars for a package.
>
> With my method, you don't have to either of this (if dh_ant will
> work as I would like it :)

Yes,  I think it's  the sort  of code  there will  be in  something like
dh_java (but I'll first test Stefan's code ;)).

> > Note that  maybe you do not
> > need all the jars from a package.
>
> If thats possible, then the lib package should seperate the jars.

Yes, I know, it should ;) So you can delete this ;)

> > libxalan2-java depends on libxerces2-java but you do not need
> > xml-apis.jar AND xmlParserAPIs.jar in your classpath. It's up to
> > the maintainer of the application to know what to do.
>
> This will anyway have to change with the inclusion of a 1.4 JRE: I
> think XML APIs are part of the JRE now, isn't it?

You are right.

> > I do not know how eclipse works but do the jars conflicts each
> > others?
>
> Yes: they implement the same interfaces/classes. So whatever comes
> first will win. eclipse itself figures ot the 'Window System' to use
> with a param at startup time (default is compiled in). I use the
> 'jars' file to provide this bit as well.

They maybe have good reasons... I don't know how I'd do that but I think
it's a strange way of implementing this. But well, it's difficult.

> > If you put all the jars in the classpath, eclipse won't start? I
> > don't have eclipse on this machine but I'll try.
>
> eclipse doesn't need any classpath apart from a jar to start it. The
> rest is done with URLClassloader and a xml registry, where you can
> register plugins, classes and so on. It expects the jars in subdirs
> of the main eclips einstallation.
>
> In this case the point is, that there hopefully will be some apps,
> which use SWT as their base and then they need to have a way to get
> all jars.

Yep.

[...]
> ? You mean the XML API? I haven't really had a look at this, but
> this sounds, that the XML API JAR could be seperated from the
> implementation...

Well  it's   a  very  difficult  question  because   the  classpath  and
j2(sdk|re)1.4  have the jaxp  api merge  in the  core api.  The upcoming
kaffe 1.1.1 will also have it. But J2sdk1.3 and earlier versions did not
have jaxp. So if you  look at libgnujaxp-java which is an implementation
of  jaxp,  and  if  you  look  at  libxerces?-java,  you'll  have  these
javax.xml.* packages and also org.xml.sax.* and org.w3c.dom.*. All these
classes MUST be the same...  but Sun's javax.xml... and gnu javax.xml do
not have the same license's terms!

[...]
> > I don't know, but you are packaging a monster! ;)
>
> ? I only packaged eclipse so far (and got a good head start from my
> sponsor :). I got this idea from a build time script for GTK, which
> I use. It works similar to my aproach: you call it with the name of
> a gtk lib and it will return a string, which can be used with gcc,
> which includes compiler switches and all includes:
> gcc `something gtk2++` ...

Well, it seems to be a very very difficult package!

> > Yes, I agree. But I don't know  why we all do not focus on getting a
> > free JDK?!
>
> To speak of me: because it requires a lot of knowledge of ARCH
> dependens, C code and much more. What make the nonfree JDKs much
> better that gcj (not compile to native) is, that they have a Just In
> Time compiler (I have to admit, that I haven't had a try with kaffe
> or sableVM). Without such a thing, IMO eclipse won't be useable. gcj
> is just able to compile to native or run the app in interpreter
> mode.
>
> I think I can do some packaging work (I hope I'm able to package
> some more java apps in some time, but eclipse takes quite some time
> from a beginner...), but I can't do some serious c hacking :/

Well, Jan, I  think that anyone who would  maintain eclipse would orphan
all his other packages! :-D

[...]

> I can't see the point in having to use a piece of software, which is
> free,  but  doesn't  do  the  job.  As  long  as  I'm not able to do
> something  about  it  (i.e.  hack  it until it fits my needs or help
> upstream  to do this), I will use the nonfree (if I'm able to, which
> is the case with JDKs).

As  everyone could  read to  night,  Ean will  soon upload  a new  kaffe
release, I suggest you have a try to build eclipse and run it with kaffe
and  submit as  many bugs  as you  can ;)  There are  several  devs from
classpath and kaffe reading the list and, I think, reading the BTS... Or
maybe Ean will forward upstream some of the bugs.

[...]

> > I  am also investigating  'maven'. I'll  give you  more informations
> > later
>
> Sounds great, but I fear, that it's much more work in the long run
> to convert ant based things to maven than to write dh_ant. Or did I
> miss something?

You did not miss anything! ;)

Much respect ;)

--