Policy: java1-runtime

Hi,

I was reported that my package, which "Depends: java-virtual-machine, java1-runtime", could not be installed of a user's machine, who has blackdown's j2sdk1.4 and j2re1.4 installed. j2re1.4 "Provides: java-virtual-machine, java2-runtime". Something seems to be wrong, since the package should obviously be able to run with j2re1.4.

The policy says:
Programs /must/ depend on /java-virtual-machine/ and the needed runtime environment (/java1-runtime/ and/or /java2-runtime/).

[JVMs] can also provide the runtime environment that the package contains (java1-runtime and/or java2-runtime).

I'm a bit puzzled by the "and/or". What is the difference between depending (or providing) java2-runtime and depending on both 1 and 2? I would think that java2 is a superset of java1.

I see two possibilities: either packages that need java1 depend on java1-runtime | java2-runtime, or java2 runtimes provide java1-runtime and java2-runtime. The policy should be clarified in both cases. I think the second case makes more sense, since there are far less JVMs than programs/libraries, so there is less work to do, and less risk to have faulty packages.

I propose the following changes in the policy, instead of the above paragraphs:

Programs /must/ depend on /java-virtual-machine/ and the needed runtime environment (/java1-runtime/ or /java2-runtime/).

[JVMs] can also provide the runtime environment that the package contains (java1-runtime or both java1-runtime and java2-runtime).

In particular, blackdown's packages should have:
Provides: java1-runtime, java2-runtime

Daniel

PS: Section 2.1, second paragraph, "I should" -> "They should".