Re: [PROPOSAL] New Virtual Packages and way to handle Classpath

Hallo Jan,

--- Jan Schulz <jasc.usenet@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hallo Dalibor,
>
> * Dalibor Topic wrote:

> >I doubt it. JAVA_HOME isn't specified anywhere by Sun AFAIK, nor what should
> be
> >in there, or how it should work. It's just a part of the ugly java folklore,
> >like trigraphs in C. ;)
>
> But it has a nice ring to it, as almsot every package uses it. So
> making some requirements (like bin/java, bin/javac, includes/..,
> javadoc?), which should satisfy almost every package and buildtime
> requirement.

I think that JAVA_HOUSE_OF_CARDS would be more appropriate, nice ring, and all
that. ;)

Just because many people use something, doesn't make it useful. Without a
specification by Sun what JAVA_HOME supposed to be good for, it would be debian
specific cruft, and work by chance with Sun's offering as long as Sun decides
to support that undocumented interface.

I don't think that's a good foundation to build a policy on ;)

cheers,
dalibor topic