Re: JAVA_HOME policy

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 01:35:53PM -0700, Patrick Tullmann wrote:
> It occurred to me that these tools (ant, jetty, etc.) are only
> dependent upon a specific class name (i.e., com.sun.tools.javac.Main),
> and what they really want is whatever jar file contains that class.
>
> It seems to me that the right way to get away from making 'tools.jar'
> a standard name is to provide a way for packages to depend upon "the
> jar that contains foo.bar.baz" (perhaps more generally "the classpath
> element that contains foo.bar.baz".

But is anyone else reimplimenting any parts of tools.jar?  I doubt
it, in which case this is pointless.  (Not that it isn't a good idea
in principle.)

Maybe someone just needs to wrap this up in a (dead simple) compiler
API, and provide an implementation that uses tools.jar, and an
implementation that uses the preferred command-line compiler.

Andrew