Re: JAVA_HOME policy

It is really jasper (the JSP engine from jakarta) that needs
tools.jar.  Tomcat is just one of several servlet containers to
use jasper.

Note that jasper2 no longer directly uses tools.jar, as it uses
ant to do all it's compiling.  Thus whatever ant.jar needs to find
tools.jar is what jasper and hence tomcat needs.

So hopefully the tools.jar dependancy will soon be history.
Thus anything done to support it in the short term should clearly
be of a temporary nature.

cheers